Pages

Wednesday, June 7, 2017

The "almighty" Cellphone Overseas

Love it, hate it, or just don't think about it that much, cellphones are a big part of our lives, even when we travel! But...international calling is So expensive! What to do; what to do; what to do?!

One word: app! Yes, I'm going to quote someone (not sure who): "There's an app for that!" The ever famous Skype works. So does Viber and what I'm using: WhatsApp.

WhatsApp is basically free facetime calls (like Skype) and texting AND regular phone calls over a WiFi connection. Like Skype, in order to use it you and the other person you're communicating with has to have the app and your phone numbers. That's why I'm also using Skype: so that I can communicate with my hometown university contact without having to put her number into my phone...it would be fine, but I'm not sure how I feel about having her number in my phone. I'm the kind of person who doesn't easily hand out my number to everyone. It takes me a while to give it to friends. So...

Just be sure that before you get on the plane to leave the country, you turn your cellular data all the way off! That way, all of these apps are forced to only work when you have WiFi; therefore, you aren't paying anything for them.

Unless, of course, you are okay with going to your cellphone provider and buying an international package. Either way, get it done!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ally's Mackinac Recommendations

Now that I'm home, I feel like I can give a few recommendations and tips. First off, just remember that even though there are no cars on...