Pages

Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Caen: Day 3

Well, that could have gone better. But...it could have gone worse too.

I was about five minutes late to class. Obviously I need more than 25 minutes in order to get to school. The professor said that it was not serious...she probably expected some of us to be late, trying to find our way around and all that. In my defense, I was not the last person there.

Classes have been fine. It is a bit challenging in that I really have to pay attention, but I think that I understand more than most of my other fellow students.

Unfortunately, I was wrong: my history class did not begin today. It starts tomorrow. Instead, we had an extra hour and a half of French class.

I didn't really have much for lunch today. I got up and wasn't feeling good. I started to feel better around 4pm, but now it's back. Maybe my stomach is trying to get used to this new food? Because I swear this is the most vegetables I have ever consumed per day in my entire life. Change does not come naturally for the body.

Another point about food: holey meow! Maybe I don't feel well or something, but I can't eat as much as anyone here. Not the French or the Americans. Everyone's telling me "Eat, eat, eat!". But I can't. Thank goodness I can ignore their persistence. Hopefully, I can feel better soon.

During lunch, a French guy approached my table full of American exchange girls. He asked to sit with us so that he could practice his English. We found out that he really wants to go to the US someday, specifically California. May I just take a moment to say that there is more to the US than just California, New York, and Florida? Because there is. Not that I'm promoting Indiana; I know that it isn't the most amazing state, but how about Virginia or Maine or our odd state of Alaska?

After I got home again, I laid down for about two hours before my host mother returned home. I think she went shopping today, among other things. She cooked me chicken, rice, cucumbers, and what she called a "gateau", which is "cake" in English, but it was really a small apricot pie.

I guess I'm the first student she's hosted that does not go out a lot and late at night, because she seemed to be worried that I was sad staying with her when she found me at the dinning room table, looking really tired and scrunched over a cup of my American tea. But really, the tea was for my stomach and I knew for sure that it doesn't have caffeine. I was so tired that I didn't want to bother to figure out if hers has caffeine or not. I reassured her that I'm just the kind of person who needs to stay home for a few hours to...I guess compose myself? After being a homegirl for so long, it's hard to break habit and join the other international students when they go out to the bars until 2 am or something. No. Just, no. I can't stay out that late. I'll probably be sick.

So, instead, I have taken pictures at home.

Here's my host mom making dinner:


And her piano (below at the bottom is black and white):


 And garden photos!








 I think these will be tomatoes?



I think these are apricots. She really loves apricots and cucumbers.






The back of the house from the garden:



The stairway. Four flights to climb to my room. They are a bit narrow compared to ones in the US. Ignore my book bag at the bottom.


Colette took a picture of me eating dinner.



Black and white piano. I think it looks a lot better than the colored picture





1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful house! I love the picture of you at the table!

    ReplyDelete

Ally's Mackinac Recommendations

Now that I'm home, I feel like I can give a few recommendations and tips. First off, just remember that even though there are no cars on...