Pages

Monday, June 12, 2017

Caen: Day 2

In Indiana, the stupid robins wake me up. Here, it was the pigeons. They aren't as loud, but still...

Just so you know, I slept really, really well. But, I have to admit, I did take some benadryle so that my nose wouldn't be a problem. It is such a pain to get a cold...before you travel...in June. Only me.

I get up, get ready, and start to write my first blog in France. But, it's breakfast time! So, I abandon my computer and walk back into the French world.

Whoever said that the French don't eat much for breakfast is a big fat liar. Get it? But really. At home I just have two pieces of toast and tea, usually. Here? Apricots, two pieces of toast, yogurt (which was disgusting, by the way...kind of like Greek yogurt, but not as strong. Still disgusting), and...something else...maybe...I forget.

Then, we're off! We walk to the train station and get on the tram to take to the university. She walks me to la maison d'etudiants (literally "student house", but it's more like oh, what's the English word? That common room on campus that students can go to just to socialize?

It's amazing. Now I feel like I have to think twice as hard to find my "English" words. It's probably because I'm now (once again) tired. It is about 9:30 at night right now...

There, I meet the people who went on the same shuttle (including the other Indiana girls) and other Americans. They ate (I was still really full from my breakfast at home) and we talked until everyone had arrived and we all followed our teachers to the building where we'd be taking classes.

Class seemed really short. I don't know why, because it was longer than any class I've ever taken in America. Anyway, except three other people, the room was filled with Americans. I guess if we get stuck, we can help each other. Which has already happened, actually.

After class, Benoit and Charlotte took us to one of the cafeterias where we were allowed to get an appetizer, a main dish, bread, and a dessert for 5.35 euros (really, it's 5,35...they use commas where we use decimal points). And, once again, I couldn't finish it all. I seriously have not been hungry since boarding the plane in Chicago. No worries about hunger here.

Lunch lasted about two hours, but we Americans aren't used to that. After forty-five minutes, I went with a new friend, Rachel from Kansas, to explore the corner of campus that we were already located. She wanted to find WiFi, so I'm like "Of course! I can send a random text too!".

Then, Charlotte and Benoit met us back at the language class building. Our really quick tour of Caen began.

We started out front: the front of the campus where the tram stop is and their mascot. Benoit explained that the buildings are all new because the university was completely destroyed during
WWII bombings. That is why their mascot is a phoenix. I don't know if you can tell, but the statue (to the left of Benoit) is of the phoenix dying and being reborn at the same time. Maybe I'll edit it some other time.

Then, we walked across the street to William the Conqueror's castle. Here's a view of part of it as we walked towards it:

 And then everyone stopped and I'm like, "What are we looking at. Oh for crying out loud. They're taking pictures of Sheep! City people. Well, sheep at a castle. Okay, fine. Trend setters."



 Sheep look tiny in the picture of the bridge inside the castle grounds:

Here's the view from one of the parts of the castle:

Another view from the castle. This is Saint Pierre (Saint Peter's cathedral). The steeple is being fixed right now:

Part of the walkway of where we were in the castle:
 We then walked all over the city. Because I'm short and a lot of tall people were in front of me, I didn't bother taking any more pictures. I plan to walk through the city again with my phone camera at the ready. I especially want to show you the oldest neighborhood in Caen. It is so cute.

The last place I went with the group was the tourist office, which was huge compared to the ones in America. Below is their 3-D model of the city. To the right, the white buildings are the university. The other big buildings you might be able to make out are at the top: I see right now (again) Saint Pierre, for example.


Then, some of the other American girls decided to go shopping, so I went with them. (Students were allowed to explore and go away from the tour as long as they told Benoit and/or Charlotte before leaving). We went to a ticket booth were we all bought a month pass for the tram so we don't have to mess with the machines every morning. Then, I tagged along to a makeup store, phone store (Maria (from Wisconsin) wanted a French SIM card), and a shoe store. Then, Rachel and I decided that we needed to go home and rest. We left Maria and took the tram to our stop. I left her to catch her next bus.

And got lost. But only for a few minutes. I was fine until I had to turn on one of the roads. I passed it and thought "Wasn't that the road I'm supposed to take...? Maybe I'll just walk a little while and turn around if I have to. Stay cool. Appear confident. Don't break your serious attitude. There's a group of boys smoking over there. There's a couple biking. It's fine."

Not that Caen is not safe. I actually feel like its a lot safer than my hometown...as long as I'm not out at night alone. And, right then, I was alone. Oh, ladies, men just don't understand what we go through.

I had to turn around.  Once I started walking down the other street, I recognized things. I got home safe, sound, and sweaty (had to walk up a long hill).

About two minutes after I got home, my host mother also arrived. I "helped" her make me dinner and then she sat with me as I ate. While "we" were eating, she explained how cows are really important in Normandy, so they eat a lot of dairy products.

I didn't mention that I ate a cheeseburger for lunch (which I liked better than the ones in the states; I'll probably do a different post with food later). She got a little emotional after I answered her question about what I eat for dinner in the states (usually chicken and hamburgers. Hey, Mom! I have new ammo when I can complain that we have hamburgers Every Single Saturday. It's okay. I enjoy it...usually).

She asked if it was alright if she went out with a friend (I gathered that they don't see each other much...but I'm not positive). It was "bon" (good)! I needed some time alone to process everything.

So, here I am, trying to race through this blog so I can go to sleep.

Below are pictures of her garden, where we usually eat dinner.




Okay, I need to stop and sleep.

A bientot! See/Talk you soon!

1 comment:

Ally's Mackinac Recommendations

Now that I'm home, I feel like I can give a few recommendations and tips. First off, just remember that even though there are no cars on...