Pages

Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Caen Day 10

It's even hotter than yesterday.

Today, the history class went to a Canadian cemetery and Juno Beach. So, it was a Canadian day, aye?

Yep.


This is what is outside of the cemetery that we visited. I wouldn't read the left side...unless you know French.




Our guide, Monique, explained that the British and Canadian peoples wanted their cemeteries to look like gardens. So, you can see that there are hedges surrounding the cemetery. And, because this is a Canadian cemetery, there are a lot of maple trees.



This was in front of the start of the cemetery (I have a picture of the back later on, which is in French):




As you can see, every single headstone has some sort of flower planted next to it.



Here's an example of the headstones. Each has the Canadian symbol, with the rank, soldier's name, infantry, date of death, and (usually, but I saw some without) the age. Underneath either the cross or the Star of David, the family could send something that they wanted to be written; a simple phrase, like what we do on headstones in America.



When the Canadians arrived, the French people were really surprised that some of them spoke French. Correspondingly, some headstones are in English while some are in French.

French headstone:

A headstone with the Star of David:



The cross in the middle of the cemetery has a sword on it (black). This statue symbolizes "fighting and peace" as Monique said...but I'd rather say war and peace. I'm such a literature nut.


 Some more pictures in the cemetery:





An unknown soldier:


In English: "Their names live for generations":



And we then we went to Juno Beach (which is actually what the French call it. My host mom was really confused when I said "la plage de Juno". Nope. I have to say it in English. Because they call it by the English name. So interesting...

So, when we first got to the beach, we went through the museum.

I took pictures of what I thought were the most interesting parts of the museum. To tell the exact truth, I think I was (and still am) just so tired from all the heat. Don't worry: there is English on the signs below. Because, of course, this is Canadian! Canadians are more prone to have English and French everywhere. (Thanks to Britain and their history. Go USA! Push the British to Canada to teach them English. In all seriousness, I love both the Canadians and the British).








After we walked through the museum, we met up with our guide, who was Canadian! Actually, I'm pretty sure that all of the guides working there are Canadian...at least, most of them. But, Monique spilled the beans that (most of us...ha ha ha. I'm here for the history primarily) are here to learn French. So, he's like. "Okay! I must help you! I'll speak in French and you have to ask me if you don't understand!"

He took us around and into two different bunkers, one made in 1942 and the other in 1944-1945. It is amazing how different they both were. Then he took us to the actual beach, which, I think, is the prettiest one out of Gold and Omaha. Sorry: no pictures. I was just reveling in the cool air coming off of the ocean and trying to keep up with all the military vocabulary our guide was throwing at us...in French.

And, while on the tour, Monique told us that it is hotter than it normally is in Caen right now. Just my luck. I go to Alaska in the summer and it's 90+ degrees. I go to France and its 90+ degrees.

So, today it is so hot that no one is really going out. And when I say "no one" I mean French people and study abroad students alike. My host mom told me that she stayed home all day while I was at school. But, I think she's going swimming at the beach later.

Allyson?! Why don't you go with her?!!

Because I was just there!!! I don't feel like going all the way back to the beaches! It takes at least an hour and a half. In a stick-shift. Without AC.

Plus...here's another big shock for Americans. It isn't rare to see people in the nude at the beach. Especially the women. French people have no shame, I guess. And that sight just isn't one I am waiting with bated breath to see.

Yeah...I'll just stay here, thanks.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Ally's Mackinac Recommendations

Now that I'm home, I feel like I can give a few recommendations and tips. First off, just remember that even though there are no cars on...