Pages

Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Caen Day 17

A normal day in Caen. Went to school early and met with Megan. We chatted and laughed and did the homework together.

Then: French class. And five people don't show up "on time", which means later than usual. And the rest of the students are like me: our respect for them is slim-to-none. If you're travelling all this way across the Atlantic to study why aren't you taking the classes seriously? You do not have to go out every single night.

I digress...

So, during our break, which is around 10:15 everyday when we have a snack with everyone who is studying abroad and is in different classes, the actual chair of the International department came down to see us. "Woah," I thought. "There must be something serious going on."

Oh boy, was I right.

To sum it up: we got a lecture on being safe. And after, we each got a paper on things to do to be safe...you know, the stuff we already were told ten + times before we came to France. I looked at Megan and Ann afterwards and said, "Basically this is saying "Don't be an idiot"". "Yep," Megan nodded.

And I needed to be told what happened. So, here's the gist. I don't think I actually met these two girls, and I don't remember their names, so I'm okay with posting...especially to warn girls who may read this blog in the future.

Sunday night is when I think this took place. And I was home by this time. So, don't worry. I'm okay: safe and still smart.

So, these three girls went out with two other guys at night in our Study Abroad program. One guy left, and the other went to the restroom. Then, out of nowhere, this man jumps out of the bushes and grabs one of the girls by the hair and starts dragging her away. The other girls scream and start hitting him, and he runs away.

Or so they thought...

The girls decide to return to campus and go back to their dorms. Little did they know that the man was still following them. I think he harrassed them some more before he was reprimanded and caught.

And that's all I know. I don't know if anything else happened. I just know that campus security is being increased and the people in charge of us are pushing the safety precautions that we should automatically know about down our throats again. As they should! "Don't travel in small groups! Travel in large groups! Don't go down these dark streets when walking back to campus at night. Use this road, it's more safe! Use the taxi, even though it's expensive! Be aware! Be safe!"

And they (and I do too) need to hear this. I thank God every day I arrive safely at Colette's front door. I'm so paranoid. But never let it show. I set my jaw firm, stare straight ahead, sunglasses on, quick pace, and ignore people who I don't want to talk to. I don't care if I seem rude. I'm just acting like a true French person: kind-of closed off...seemingly rude.

Anyone who is going to travel in France: use this! Act like a French person! If you are alone, act French! Act rude! Act like you don't give a rip about what people on the street need or want to ask you! You are deaf to their pleas! You are being safe! Be nice back in your hometown. Not in France. Your safety is worth more than being a nice person. They'll get over it. They, after all, are French too.

Then, I had lunch with Ann, Megan, and...I am so embarrassed that I don't remember this other girl's name. But, then again, we weren't ever actually introduced.

 I got a peach iced tea...which tasted a lot like the Snapple peach tea back home, but not as sweet. I liked it a lot.


Then I went to history class, where we talked about D-Day in specific detail. I am SO happy I get to take this class. Every day, I just beam and enjoy it so much. I know that when I get back home, I'll be smiling when I hand my notebook, filled with notes in English, to my mother to read.


Then, I went downstairs again and waited for Rachel. You see, last week, I invited Rachel over for dinner tonight. Rachel's host mother's father died recently. So, her host mom isn't home all week. And her host parents are currently separating. And her host father, she can tell, does not like having her here. But he still cooks for her. And she says that it can be awkward, because he gives her a cold shoulder most of the time and refuses to talk to her in English at all. So, I'm like, "I'm going to invite her for dinner. Colette keeps telling me that I can invite some friends over as long as I tell her in advance."

So, I told Colette last Friday. But, she forgot. When we walked in tonight she was like, "Oh, j'oublie!"...."Oh, I forgot!" And I said, "Je suis très desolée!"

But it was okay. I think that Rachel really enjoyed herself. We did homework together and studied for our small test for tomorrow while Colette cooked. And she had us talk in French during dinner.

Then, I walked Rachel to the train station so that she could catch her bus home. And I walked home, took a shower, wrote part of my blog, called home, and now I'm finishing this post for the day.

Tomorrow, the history class is going on our last little "excursion". Who knows where we're really going. The first day we went to the American cemetery...which was scheduled for tomorrow. Where will we go today? The place we didn't go the first day: the German battery at the Pointe?  And what is really scheduled: the German cemetery?

Who knows...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Ally's Mackinac Recommendations

Now that I'm home, I feel like I can give a few recommendations and tips. First off, just remember that even though there are no cars on...