Pages

Friday, September 17, 2021

Mere/Fille Vacance Day 8 (Sept 17) - Giverney

 Today we headed back to Paris, but on the way we stopped at Claude Monet's house in Giverney. Please don't pronounce it "Give-er-nee". That is wrong. It makes me cringe. Stop that! It is "Gee-ver-ney", like you're saying "Geez", make the "g" nice and long and soft, oui? Oui. 

Monet lived for the last 40 years of his life in Giverney. He painted his famous lily pads at his home. It's just an incredible place.

Monet has two main gardens. The first is a Japanese-style garden and the other is a Norman (Normandy) garden.

Japanese garden:
















And remember that I have tons more photos that I just haven't posted here on the blog. Too many pictures...or not enough?

And the Normandy garden that is right outside his house:





















We got to also go inside his house and his studio, which is now the gift shop. Interestingly, Monet really liked Japanese art (hence his Japanese garden), so a lot of the pictures hanging up in his house are from Japan and that style.








Again, I'm not posting all my pictures in his house. Too many.

Then we walked to the small chapel and went inside and also went to the cemetery behind it and saw the grave of six Royal Air Force Servicemen who got shot down in Giverney.







Monet is buried to the right side of the chapel. Many of his relatives are buried beside him.



 

It doesn't sound like much, but it was a tiring day.

Tomorrow we get to go on a Paris tour and then to Versailles. 

Oh! Before I forget, I wanted to mention that today Mom and I decided to try macrons (raspberry and chocolate). They were very good! I will try to do a post just about food later. Maybe while I am in Caen at Colette's house while visiting her next week when we're not rushing around with the tour guide.

A plus tard!




2 comments:

Ally's Mackinac Recommendations

Now that I'm home, I feel like I can give a few recommendations and tips. First off, just remember that even though there are no cars on...