Pages

Thursday, September 16, 2021

Mere/Fille Vacance Day 7 (Sept 16) - American D-Day Highlights

 Today, we went to all the American D-Day spots in Normandy. 

As we were going past some other places, though, I was really missing visiting them too. I loved the British and Canadian cemeteries. They are so beautiful and have a lot of flowers. 

I also kind of really like the German cemetery, just because it is melancholic and respectful, even though they were the enemy. 

Anyway, our first stop was Utah beach: a beach I actually didn't get to go to the last time I was here in Normandy. Now I can officially say that I've been to all five beaches: Utah, Omaha, Gold, Juno, & Sword. 

Pictures:






Curiously, I think my least favorite beach is Utah. I don't know why. Maybe because there isn't much there?

After Utah, we went to Saint Mer Eglise, which is a small village. Chronologically, we are going back in time. The paratroopers and the gliders landed there at 0120 (military time). The D-Day landings didn't begin until 0620 ish. The most famous event/person that was there was John Steele. He parachuted into the town and got tangled up in the church's bell tower. I'm told that his story was made famous in the movie "The Longest Day". I haven't seen it yet, but you better believe that I will once I am back in the States. 

 




In the church, there is also new stain glass windows. Two of them have elements of the war in them...and we found them!




In the same town, we had time for lunch, so we went to a boulangerie (backery) for a sandwich and croissant. Then we went to get ice cream (la glace). All the food here has been absolutely wonderful. 

After Sainte Mer Eglise, we went to Pointe du Hoc, the cliff that the US rangers needed to take. This cliff overlooked the two American beaches. Again, I already visited it in 2017, so for more details I recommend reading my older blog posts. I did take more pictures since it was sunny today and the day I was there last time was rainy and it was hard to take pictures and hold an umbrella.

After Pointe du Hoc, we stopped at Omaha beach. Then to the American Cemetery. Unlike last time, I feel like I got to actually spend time at the cemetery; however, most of it was roped off because of "Covid". BUT half of it wasn't. I guess you didn't spread disease at the back of the cemetery. Whatever. The chapel in the cemetery and the museum/gift show was also closed because of Covid. 

But the cemetery is always so peaceful and serene. You MUST go if you have the chance. And please see my older blog post for more details and history that I learned, such as why some of the trees are cut off at the top (symbolizing the shortened lives of the soldiers) and other tidbits. 

We also got extremely lucky, because we were at the cemetery to see the lowering of the flags at 5pm (called Retreat) AND the Airborn battallion from the US was there to do it! Talk about a tear-jerking, aboslutely moving ceremony. I tried to post the videos I shot on Facebook, but the wifi back here at the hotel is pretty bad. I'll try to get them up on my page later or when I'm back home. 

Okay, we really need to get to bed. Long day for us tomorrow.

A plus tard mes amis.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ally's Mackinac Recommendations

Now that I'm home, I feel like I can give a few recommendations and tips. First off, just remember that even though there are no cars on...