Pages

Monday, September 20, 2021

Mere/Fille Vacance - Day 10 & 11 (Sept 19 & 20): Caen

As a pre-note: sorry, no pictures tonight. Just trying to post very quickly.

We made it to Caen yesterday! Mom was very impressed with Colette's house and really liked her garden and staircase. Of course, different flowers and plants are blooming now in September versus late June/early July when I was here in 2017.

Colette is the best host ever. She's been feeding us and driving us everywhere we want to go so we don't have to take the tram. Tomorrow, we will take a bus to the beach in the afternoon, though, so that we can come back any time we want. She also made sure we can get our Covid test to come back home tomorrow night. 

Marie and Emmeline have also been coming to eat with us in the evening: both yesterday, Marie tonight, and Emmeline tomorrow night. It helps me take a break from having to translate from French to English and vice versa for Colette and Mom in the evenings. 

Yesterday, we went to Les Abbye aux Hommes (men's), the courthouse (which used to be part of the men's abbey, William the Conqueror's castle, and St. Pierre. Colette left us while we visited the castle and St. Pierre for a while, and we got a little nervous because she was late picking us up. So I had to turn my cellular data back on and leave her a voicemail. Some of her friends had visited her and they were talking and she lost track of time. She made it back and picked us up, though. And I feel much safer in Caen...like I won't get robbed and I don't see a lot of homeless people. But, I feel like people are more on edge in Caen right now...maybe they had terrorist attacks more recently? Because some security guards in front of the castle were checking people's cars as they drove into the parking lot for the castle. It's so sad, but what can you do?

After picking us up, Colette also took us to see the Women's Abbey, which I had never been to before. We could only take a peek in because they were saying Mass. It was really beautiful, but I also didn't feel comfortable taking pictures because of the service. It isn't as ornate as the Ment's Abbey, though.

Oh, I wanted to mention again (from my posts back in 2017) that you will not go hungry under Colette's roof. There are always 3 courses. Don't eat thinking you are only having one course. And she'll make you eat something from all three courses.

Today, Mom and I spent the entire day at the museum of Caen. It is a really large museum that has a lot about WWI and WWII, but it also has a section about the Cold War. We were there for about two hours in the morning, Colette came and picked us up for lunch, and then we went back to the museum from 3pm until 6pm. A 24 hour pass to the museum costs a little less than 20 euro per person (foreigners, anyway), which I didn't think was too bad. I am always impressed with that museum, so I was happy to go back a second time after four years. 

The one thing Mom & I couldn't understand was that they had an exposition on 9/11 in the museum for an additional cost, but everything was in French. Why have an exposition about an American event in only French??? Ummm...the US speaks English. So weird.

That pretty much sums up our two days here. If I don't get to post tommorrow, just know that we are planning on sleeping in, going to the beach, maybe a little shopping, and getting our Covid tests in the evening to come home on Friday (as long as we get the test late in the evening tommorow, we should be fine to get on the plane in France around 11:30). 

So, talk to y'all later.

A plus tard.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Ally's Mackinac Recommendations

Now that I'm home, I feel like I can give a few recommendations and tips. First off, just remember that even though there are no cars on...