Pages

Monday, September 6, 2021

Out( to )fit in

 I was going to talk about Covid stuff today, but I am still dealing with paperwork on it and may have more experiences (including trips...plural...to the Pharmacie in Paris/Caen while over there) and I'm thinking maybe I'll post about all that later when the dust has settled.

I've been asked today, "What are you wearing in France? What are you packing?"

Oh, the Parisian style...it's so me. And I don't say that sarcastically. In all honesty, I have noticed that I have become extremely French in my style (well, my "dressing up/going to work" style). What does Ally like to wear? I like black. What do the French like to wear? I'm told it's black. Black is très chique (very chic)! Even the t-shirts I wear are turning out to be either black or navy blue...I just find myself choosing those colors whenever I buy clothes. Like..."This shirt is cute...but I want it in black. White is just not me anymore."

But I am not, by any means, totally French in my clothes that I wear at home. Remember that I just stated that my style for work and dressing up is French, not my everyday wear. I'm totally American in that I like my t-shirts with prints/pictures on them. I like my casual cargo pants (Oh, how I love my cargo pants! Pockets!!!) The day that I came home from France in 2017, I actually changed out of my outfit that I wore on the plane home when I stopped at a restaurant on the way home. I couldn't wait until we got to our house! I switched into my denim skort (yes, I wore skorts for a long time) and my t-shirt that said "Caen" that was sold in the Tourist Office...that only Americans would wear. Hmm...wonder why that was the only place that I saw those shirts being sold. (Just kidding. Sarcasm.)

So, what I wear to work: black slacks, black shoes, and button-down shirts. I mostly wear navy and black, but I do have a white/blue stripped shirt, a maroon/white blouse-like shirt, a dark red button down, and a really nice hunter green blouse-like shirt (that I wore in France in 2017), any of which I would be okay with wearing again this time around (although every time I wear my red shirt I feel like I'm screaming for attention, but that's just my introverted nature coming out). 

I have researched a lot of articles, YouTube videos, and vlogs. Many say the same: neutral colors (black especially) is the French way. Accessories are where the color shines out. French women don't really wear more than three colors at once. Don't overdo anything (hair, makeup, colors, jewelry). I totally can be comfortable with all these "rules" in order to fit in and not stand out.

The main thing that needs to be remembered is that you aren't going to become "perfect" at dressing like a citizen of France. You're not one, after all! Plus, fashion is not a hard and fast rule. My host "cousin" in 2017 was into the "older" style of bold colors (I'm thinking 60s/70s) and was totally excited to show me her bright yellow converse shoes she just bought. So, if you don't feel like fitting in, don't! Even my French family breaks the "rules".

I have found that instead of researching "What should I wear" it's better to research "What shouldn't I wear?" Here's the abbreviated version:

  • No tennis shoes
  • No sweats
  • No yoga pants
  • No leggings as pants (they're fine under skirts)
  • No BOLD colored outfits (That's Italy, not France)
  • The combo of white socks, shorts, and tennis shoes is a TOURIST alert (can you tell tennis shoes are a No-no?)
  • fanny packs
  • baseball caps (that's the American sport after all)
  • T-shirts (especially with words/College names/pictures. I got away with solid colored t-shirts in 2017)
  • Tall high-heels
  • Uggs (Thank God. I HATE Uggs)
  • If you're a guy: no sandals unless you're at the beach. Sorry. No.
  • Lots of makeup
  • Looking like you spent hours on your hair (because you did)
  • Tight clothes
  • Loose, baggy clothes
  • "Showy"/"Sexy" clothes (showing cleavage/your butt)
  •  Berets & stripped shirts (those cliche, Hollywood stuff) all together, all the time and/or in tourist spots
  • Khaki pants (Another thing to Thank God about...flashbacks to private school days)

 So: neutral colors, no casual spirit/tourist/advertisement/picture shirts, no athletic wear unless you're going to the gym or actually going on a run, wear clothes that fit (not too small or too big), and classy, modest clothes.

A chat about  the tennis shoes thing: yes, it's annoying because athletic tennis shoes are So comfortable. I agree. I got pretty upset, to tell the truth, when I heard that athletic tennis shoes are a tourist thing, because when in France (and most of Europe, I'm told) you walk a LOT; so, I want to be comfortable. My mom, who has arthritis in her feet, didn't take this news very well either. But: I have found shoes that are pretty comfortable that aren't my Asics tennis. 

The first place I would point you to for getting shoes that are good for Europe travel is Hotter. That's where I bought shoes for France in 2017. That being said, I ended up not being totally happy with my purchases there. After a while, it felt like I was wearing kids shoes...and I feel like a lot of Hotter shoes at the time looked like shoes women in older generations would wear. Looking on their website today for a few minutes, I see some that I think I would like, so it's just good to go with your style. The main rule that should not be broken is keep it plain. Don't get sneakers with a symbol on them (I'm looking at you, Nike). 

Back in February of 2020...before Covid hit Fort Wayne and we were still planning on going to Europe, Mom & I went shoe shopping for Europe. I wanted to find black sneakers with shoe strings. No slip-ons that reminded me of teachers or office workers or old lady shoes or ballet shoes (I always have a hard time with ballet shoes: they always don't fit or they scrape up my heels). We went to a store in the mall, but I can't remember its name and upon searching for it on Google, I've come to the conclusion that they've closed. I threw out the box that the shoes came in. The good thing is Mom bought the same pair as me, but we don't feel like digging through her closet to find the box tonight just to tell you what I am wearing. She's found out since buying them that they are too heavy for her. Me? I've gotten used to their weight since I have worn them as my everyday shoe since buying them, breaking them in for whenever we can go to Europe. Now, I'd rather stick with black sneakers over athletic shoes. I like black (have I mentioned that yet 😉) and they are inconspicuous. 

All this being said, I have highly encouraged Mom to take her athletic sneakers with us. When I went to Mount St. Michel, I wore my athletic Asics...and BOY am I glad I did. My feet hurt so bad after walking up a mountain (literally) and back down again most of the day. So, when we go there, she's probably going to do the same. 

Now, if you're an individualist and/or want to stand out, wear what you want! It's okay to dress in your style. Just know that you're going not fit in as well. 

Speaking of fitting in, I fully intent to "act" French again while in France. What do I mean by that? I mean, I'm leaving my mid-western friendly ways at home. Sometimes, the situation calls for "sunglasses on" scenario. 

Need more details? Okay, I'll explain:

When I was in Caen, sometimes sketchy people would approach me, asking for money. This is when I would lower my sunglasses from the top of my head to my face (if I wasn't already wearing them), say "Non!" once or twice (maybe three times), hold up my hand and angle my face away from them, and walk quickly away.This did the trick every time. There is no need to feel bad about acting a little rude...or very rude as people back here at home in the Midwest would say. Being rude is better than being scammed.

And why do I keep bringing up the Midwest? Well, if you don't know, my hometown region is known for being friendly. I've had people in other regions comment about this to me personally. We smile at each other as we pass by on the street. Yeah, French people don't do this. If you smile at someone in Paris, they are most likely going to think you're flirting with them or just plain creepy. 

Don't be a creeper. Don't smile at strangers. Don't say hi to strangers. Pretend you are an introvert (or embrace your introvert-ness, like me). Not everyone is your friend and you should not be out to make friends with everyone you meet. There isn't anyone at the front doors at the grocery stores saying "Welcome to Meijer!" Not only did I not see any Meijers in Caen...but they didn't welcome me either. Toto, we aren't in Fort Wayne anymore. The workers are not going to cater to you or pretend they are happy you are there if they are feeling sad or hurt or angry that particular day. Oh, and the customer is not always right, so leave your attitude at home (but really, leave your attitude at your house. American workers deserve better from you too).

So, it may feel like the French aren't friendly in their culture and mannerisms, but there are times when it's the other way around. For example, when you're in a store or if you actually get someone to help you on the street, the French don't just "get down to business". They want and expect friendly conversation. You can't just say "Hi, I want this. Okay thanks," leave, and expect the French to not think you were being rude. My second day in Caen, I got lost on the way home from school and forgot this. I asked a woman where a road was and forgot to say goodbye properly to her. I was a few steps away as she was saying goodbye to me, and all day (still, really) I felt bad for ending the conversation with "Oh, that's right! The road is over there! Thank you very much!". No, I should have said, "Thank you very much! You were so helpful. Have a nice rest of your day." at the very minimum. 

No wonder the French think we are rude...and vice versa.

I think that's about it for tonight.

A plus tard, mes amis!


Bonus -- good places to get info about traveling, especially in France:

https://www.youcouldtravel.com/travel-blog/what-to-wear-in-france

https://girlgonegallic.com/blog/what-not-to-wear-as-a-tourist/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWdkyAEjmq0&t=249s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWdkyAEjmq0&t=249s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8ppEYOn9w8&t=0s


Extra Bonus material:

I really really REALLY like Wolter's World, so if you want any travel info, even if it isn't France, look them up on YouTube. Here are a few videos they did on France.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OIlepE6zwE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1lGKQ_Bnd4 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvb3zDSrVjM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6hffD_-eCs

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ally's Mackinac Recommendations

Now that I'm home, I feel like I can give a few recommendations and tips. First off, just remember that even though there are no cars on...