Pages

Thursday, June 13, 2024

Mackinac Island, Day 1

 My first ever trip to Mackinac has begun!

 For people who have only ever read it, it is pronounced "Mack-in-aw". It is located between the Upper and Lower Peninsulas of Michigan in Lake Huron. (I thought it was Michigan for some strange reason for a long time.)

The car ride up was fine...for the first two hours. Then the AC decided to start dying. Not a good combination with me. I would've rather it have been winter and the heat died, but I guess since I have Annie with me that would've been worse for her. It's fiiiinnnnee. I just have more bills to pay when I get home. Poor Gina (my car's name). 

I drove the entire way...about 5 hours...since I love to drive (minus the whole no air conditioning in 80 degree weather). I'm usually good with driving to a destination the entire way, but I am probably going to need Annie to drive at least part of the way home. Maybe the AC will work for two hours again. Maybe I'm delusional to the highest degree. Maybe we just won't come home. It'll be too hot there anyway.

 We arrived at the docks just before 16:30, the breeze from the lakes so welcoming. After buying a parking pass and two round trip tickets, we waited on the ferry.  It was so nice and cool...enough that I finally felt better and Annie put on her sweatshirt and jacket.

Then we made our way here to the Metivier Inn. I see that word and pronounce it the French way. Everyone else on this island sees it and knows that we are American and we don't do that...even though the island is not called "Mack-in-ack". Because that would make sense. No. We don't do that here.

 Anyways, we checked in, got into our room, put down our bags, and went out to walk down Market street and Main street to look for dinner. We walked into a shop just to look. We breathed in the scent of lilacs and horses. Most of the lilacs are dying, but some are still holding strong, waiting on us to enjoy them for a little bit.

On our way up, our uncle, Tony, kept texting Angie. I think he is the most excited about us being in Mackinac than anyone. He was recommending the Yankee Rebel Tavern, so that's where we ended up. Annie got a big salad and I got zucchini ravioli...which I thought would be ravioli with zucchini, but it was actually zucchini shaped into raviolis. I guess I was going vegetarian last night. It was really good, so I'm not complaining.  

After dinner, we wandered into one more store on our way back to our inn. It was only 18:30, but it felt like 22:00 to me, who had been driving in the heat. Plus, I am usually in bed by 19:30 and up at 5:30 on normal days anyway. We decided that since we were probably going to be on our normal schedules (though mostly against our wills), we would turn in for the night and just wake up normally. 

So, here I am, waiting to get ready after Annie. These are really the best vacations: no set schedule, no set routine. If I don't get out at a certain time, it is fine. If we want to sleep in, it's fine (maybe tomorrow or Saturday morning if my body allows it). The semi-plan for this morning is to wonder about the streets, taking pictures with less people and then coming back for breakfast.

I would like to go on a tour of the Grand Hotel, take the lilac walk, get fudge (of course), and go shopping. Not necessarily all today, but before Saturday.

 Will let y'all know what actually happens. 

 

Yesterday's pictures:

 

Getting packed! Lottie is waiting on me to load her into the car to stay with her grandma:


 Cooling off before getting on the ferry:

Here comes the ferry! We went on Star Lines...which I kept thinking was White Star Lines, but we don't want to sink in the Atlantic, thank you.


Reaching the docks on the island!

Dinner time!







No comments:

Post a Comment

Ally's Mackinac Recommendations

Now that I'm home, I feel like I can give a few recommendations and tips. First off, just remember that even though there are no cars on...