Pages

Wednesday, July 5, 2017

Reverse Culture Shock ???

I don't think I had a good chance of getting it...seeing as I only stayed for three weeks.

I also don't think I got culture shock to the extent of some of the other students, seeing as how I did research and mentally prepared myself before I left for France.

I'm not sure...let me look it up real quick: https://medium.com/global-perspectives/the-4-stages-of-culture-shock-a79957726164

"Culture shock is more than simply being unfamiliar with social norms or experiencing new foods and it tends to impact travelers even after they’ve become familiar with and comfortable in new cultures.
Culture shock generally moves through four different phases: honeymoon, frustration, adjustment and acceptance. While individuals experience these stages differently and the impact and order of each stage varies widely, they do provide a guideline of how we adapt and cope with new cultures."

Okay...let's read a little further:

"1. The Honeymoon Stage
The first stage of culture shock is often overwhelmingly positive during which travelers become infatuated with the language, people and food in their new surroundings. At this stage, the trip or move seems like the greatest decision ever made, an exciting adventure to stay on forever."

and

"2. The Frustration Stage
Frustration may be the most difficult stage of culture shock and is probably familiar to anyone who has lived abroad or who travels frequently. At this stage, the fatigue of not understanding gestures, signs and the language sets in and miscommunications may be happening frequently. Small things — losing keys, missing the bus or not being able easily order food in a restaurant — may trigger frustration. And while frustration comes and goes, it’s a natural reaction for people spending extended time in new countries.

...

Bouts of depression or homesickness and feelings of longing to go home where things are familiar and comfortable are all common during the frustration stage."

...

"3. The Adjustment Stage
Frustrations are often subdued as travelers begin to feel more familiar and comfortable with the cultures, people, food and languages of new environments. Navigation becomes easier, friends and communities of support are established and details of local languages may become more recognizable during the adjustment stage."

...

"4. The Acceptance Stage
Generally — though sometimes weeks, months or years after wrestling with the emotional stages outlined above — the final stage of culture shock is acceptance. Acceptance doesn’t mean that new cultures or environments are completely understood, rather it signifies realization that complete understanding isn’t necessary to function and thrive in the new surroundings. During the acceptance stage, travelers have the familiarity and are able to draw together the resources they need to feel at ease."


Okay, I'm sorry, but I just don't think things are as black and white as this. Yes, the stuff that they say here is pretty grey, but even so...it seems black and white. 

So, if I was going to describe my whole experience as this website does, I'd say that my "honeymoon" phase lasted two minutes...the two minutes from when I landed and when I waited to get off the plane.  No, I take that back. I just didn't have a "honeymoon phase". Next!

The "frustration phase". Let's see...I didn't get frustrated with anything except lack of air conditioning, does that count? Probably a little. Homesickness? Definitely. But that is (and was) to be expected. It was the first time I had been out of the country, across the Atlantic, and on a trip without any family members whatsoever. I would've been worried if I hadn't felt homesick. 

How did I deal with homesickness? Well, I let myself cry. Sometimes it is better to just let it all out. 

Longings to go home? I have to admit to that too. I don't ever do well in the heat. I don't do well not being able to not talk to my family. I don't do well not fully expressing myself...I don't want the people I'm around to think that I am rude when I don't say anything because I don't know how to say it! I am a worrier in this instance, I guess.

"Adjustment" and "Acceptance"? I feel like I went through those every single day. Sometimes every hour. Again, I think it helps that I researched so much about France before I left. 

But what is the question that EVERYONE is asking me: "Do you want to go back?"

And my answer: "Not right now!"

I'm okay with being a home-girl. Not to say that I'll never leave the US again. Let me put it another way; I would rather go to other places before returning to France. The way to get me back to France quickly is to have my family ask to go so that I can take them around and we can tour the Normandy sites together. But...I don't need to rush to France again. I'd rather see Canada, England, Scotland, Austria, Portugal, Germany, Rome & the Vatican, and other places first. 

I don't really want to live my whole life just seeing the US and France. 

Am I glad I went? Absolutely!!!!!!! 
I am SO glad I went. I met some wonderful people and learned some incredible things about France and WWII on location! I learned things about myself...subtle things that I'm not sure that I can put into words. 

And I learned how to deal with differences. Even differences between me and fellow Americans who were also studying abroad. Although, I'm never sure if I deal with them correctly. Should I be the one to throw in the controversy way of thinking and have them all turn on me, or should I turn the other cheek and give them love? The age old struggle.

Reverse Culture Shock? Maybe a bit of the "honeymoon". We'll see if this progresses.

But I still think it's awfully black and white. And humans just aren't that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ally's Mackinac Recommendations

Now that I'm home, I feel like I can give a few recommendations and tips. First off, just remember that even though there are no cars on...