Pages

Thursday, March 23, 2017

Passports, Visas, and Health Insurance..."Oh My!"

For all the US students out there that want to study abroad anywhere (but especially France) in the future, I would like to give some advice that you've probably already heard, but it hasn't sank into your brain yet:

Save, Save, SAVE!

Whew...now that I've got that out, I'll tell you why.

The facts: you need more money than you think...a Lot more money. For me, I don't need as much as someone studying for even a semester abroad. It's not just the fact that the program itself doesn't cost me as much (I'm only spending a little more than  $3,000 for the program itself).

As a side note: I'll be talking about ISEP (International Student Exchange Programs), because it is the organization that I'm going through to study abroad. They are a great company that is helping me get to France. And they can get you practically (I'm not totally positive) anywhere in the world! I definitely recommend them. You can find them here: https://www.isepstudyabroad.org/

Then there is the passport. Do you know how much a passport costs? Don't cry when you see that you have to spend more than $100 (at the time I got mine, I spent $130 total, including the Post Office fee). But don't get the passport card! You don't need it! The card is  only good to get to and from Canada, anyway. The book is what you need and it covers everything. So don't waste your money getting the book and the card.

Another note on passports: GET IT NOW! (Unless, of course, your trip is in...like...more than ten years. Yes, passports expire too. It's like an international airplane license.) It takes months to get your passport; and that's business days. So if you are like me and applied at the end of November/ beginning of December, you have to remember things like...oh...say Christmas and New Years. Good thing my trip is in June.

 Here are some things that I wasn't expecting...and I feel like it was a "Don't forget this!" and/or "Surprise! You have to buy this before you go!"

1. Health Insurance
 Yes. Health insurance: that card that your parents gave you a few months ago to tell doctors' secretaries who to call because you've twisted your ankle so bad that you can't walk and they have to make sure you don't have a hair-line fracture. Yeah, that card won't work in France. ISEP has it so that in your acceptance package you sign up for their "travel" insurance really easily. BUT, if your going longer than I am (just the summer...specifically LESS than 90 days) you have to get French health insurance too! It is the law! You HAVE to get it, or be sent home. Other countries might (most likely) have the same rule. Find more information here: https://www.isepstudyabroad.org/guides-and-tips/health-safety/isep-student-health-insurance/enrollment-requirements

2. Money!
What?! Money? What do you mean, I need money for "money"? Yes; I'm serious. Think now, you've arrived in France. You've gotten to the place where your staying. You have everything in order. And then your stomach rumbles. "Man, I need something to eat!" But...you don't have any euros on you. I have read several websites about how much money to take with me. Some say $100 in euros. Some say $50. Some say as much as $300. It all depends on how long you're staying and what country your in (not always euros! Find out what currency and the exchange rate is for your country!)

Speaking of currency exchanges, only banks (NOT credit unions) will exchange currencies. As of this post, if you are a member at Wells Fargo, you can ask them to exchange your US dollars for Euros/other currencies without a fee. But you have to be a member (have an account with them). I have noticed that other banks charge a fee, whether you are a member or not. Also: I've heard (since I haven't done my exchanges yet) that it takes a few weeks. So don't wait until the last minute!

And then there's the fact that I need to get some plastic. Honest truth: I am probably one of the few people over 18 who has never had a credit card. No! Not debit card! I have one of those. I mean Credit Card: that piece of plastic that allows people to spend money that isn't theirs (credit) and then paying a bill.

If you are going to spend more than a day in a different country, you won't have easy access to where your money is located back home in the US. Hence, the plastic. I am currently researching what would be best for me. Seeing as how I won't be overseas long, I'm leaning more towards a prepaid credit card (sort of like a debit card, only it has no access to my accounts or "banks" in the US). But, I may need a credit card...who knows? Jury is still out.

No: some people can't just use their debit card in a foreign country. Not only is that SUPER unsafe, but some do not "bank" at an actual bank, but a credit union. Also, it's not really financially savvy to just take your credit card and get money out of a French ATM. Banks notice where you are pulling your money; they charge you each time for taking money out of a foreign bank. Therefore, you're pulling more out of that ATM than you know. (each bank has different foreign transaction ATM charges). And let's not forget that each time you use your credit card that there's that pesky "foreign transaction fee" (a fee used when you use your American credit card in a different country). See why I'm leaning towards a prepaid card?

3. Visas
Ohh! You're ready for a semester abroad! Passport? Check! Money? Check! Plane Ticket? Check! Visa....Visa???!!!

Yes. A student visa. For France, if you are staying more than 90 days, you need a visa. And visas cost money and take a while to get (like your passport). So, look up if you need a visa in your country! (Even if you are staying less than 90 days! Not all countries are like France!)


I am sure that more unexpected things will come up that I will have to buy. I'll keep you updated...but that's all I can think of for now. Long story short: this trip is going to cost more than you think!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Ally's Mackinac Recommendations

Now that I'm home, I feel like I can give a few recommendations and tips. First off, just remember that even though there are no cars on...